After more than 20 years of service to the Hannibal community and tri-state area, John C. Grossmeier, President and Chief Executive Officer of Hannibal Regional Healthcare System, has announced his retirement effective December 21, 2012. John will be leaving the healthcare profession which he has been honored to serve since 1974.“Since accepting the position of President and Chief Executive Officer and coming to Hannibal in 1992, Hannibal Regional Healthcare System has been able to serve more patients and become one of the largest employers in northeast Missouri,” stated Bob Gilstrap, Chairperson of the Hannibal Regional Healthcare System Board of Directors. “John has been instrumental in collaborating with local communities and physician groups to extend healthcare services to area residents. The work he has accomplished during his time with our organization will continue to benefit the region for years to come.”
Throughout his tenure at Hannibal Regional, John has served the community in many ways. A few highlights include the following.
- Guiding the creation of the Hannibal Free Clinic and serving as a member of its founding Board of Directors;
- Serving as Chair of Healthcare Services Group, the most successful 383 medical liability insurance company in the state of Missouri;
- Serving on the Missouri Hospital Association Board of Directors as well as President of the Northeast District Council and the Central District Council;
- Receiving the Missouri Hospital Association’s Visionary Leadership Award in 2008;
- Serving as a member and chair of the Hannibal Airport advisory Board and leading the construction of the current Hannibal airport;
- Organizing and leading the successful effort to bring thermal imaging capabilities to the Hannibal Fire Department and being recognized as an Honorary Chief; and
- Receiving the Hannibal Chamber of Commerce’s Pacesetter Award for community leadership in 2005.
“It has been a privilege to work with the exceptional group of team members at Hannibal Regional Healthcare System throughout the years. The healthcare system and resources that has been created over the last two decades is the result of an exceptional team working together with a common mission and vision to serve the community,” stated John C. Grossmeier, President and Chief Executive Officer. “My wife, family and I have been planning for this transition for quite some time. The decision to retire is among the most difficult of my career. And, I am leaving the best team of executives, physicians and team members which whom I have ever been associated. I thank my team for creating a truly remarkable organization to lead.”
The Hannibal Regional Healthcare System Board of Directors has formed a Search Committee to begin recruitment efforts. The Hannibal Regional Healthcare System President and Chief Executive Officer position is expected to be filled prior to John’s departure in December. Hannibal Regional Healthcare System remains committed to providing excellent, quality care to serve the patients of northeast Missouri.